Yesterday I attended a roundtable discussion introducing
the students that went to a vigil in Georgia.
It reminded me of the research I did into migrant workers labor rights
and the injustice against them. I felt strongly about the research I did
because I believed there needs to be change (yay for no censuring
#chineseselfcensoring – it’s a true thing), but for some reason what the vigil
the students went to stood for didn’t quite sit well with me. There was a man who committed a crime and sent
to jail, and he wasn’t able to provide for his family because he was in jail so
he needed to fight the system so he could provide for his family. I couldn’t quite
grasp the concept of this social injustice. Do the crime, pay the time. I wasn’t
well versed on the topic at hand so I didn’t comprehend exactly what was going
on in Georgia. They should have had background information about the discussion
prior to starting the discussion. School
of America (SOA) was brought up a lot, and I couldn’t tell whether it was good
or bad. Also the election of El Salvador
was brought up and how President Obama was supporting the man who didn’t want
free public information. This discussion was all over the place. One guy
brought up that the protest (or whatever it was) was unorganized and
ineffective, but it brought awareness. While things might lack in one place,
make up for it in another and I was glad people are able to see that. It
reminded me how another guy thought cleaning up the attic at the local boys and
girls club was useless; he was blind to the indirect help he was providing. Usually these roundtables are informative, but this one was confusing.
No comments:
Post a Comment