Enrichment #1
Confucius
said, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in
your life." After
working in my aunt’s law office over the summer, I thought I wanted to be a
lawyer. It seemed like the most practical choice of field to study; the pay is
great, my aunt could help me establish a network and gain connection, but there
was something missing. It wasn’t until after I attended a group event for
History/Political Science majors that I realized what I was lacking: passion. The
speaker that came to our meeting was a lawyer, a very passionate lawyer. He
talked about the type of law he pursued, cases he defended, and the different
clientele. There was a particular case he felt strongly about, a woman being
tried for welfare fraud. She was illiterate, and it wasn’t her fault; he won the
case. The way he spoke about his feelings for the case and for his client showed
that he truly loved what he was doing. I knew I couldn’t follow a degree in
law; it would be a chore. That event helped me re-establish my reason for
majoring in history
Enrichment #2
I’m not one to voice my opinions (but
that doesn’t mean I don’t have any). I rather listen to what others have to
say. I chose to attend the Syrian dinner the Spirituality center was holding,
because I was interested in what the guest speaker, a Syrian man, had to say
about the civil war happening in Syria. He told us a scary story about the government. There was a lady talking on the phone to her friend saying "Syria should have an uprising like Eygpt". A guard overheard this and she was later arrested, along with her friend she had been speaking with, and also relatives of the lady. It was scary to know that the government would have the power to jail not only the person who said those words, but people who were not involved with the conversation. Attending this dinner gave me a new insight into the life of Syrians.
No comments:
Post a Comment